Monday, August 15, 2016

Susan Hawthorne

Metablog 366 questions

Why were you interested in joining Project 366, and how did you see it relating to your art practice before you got involved?
I had done this once before and stuck to it for a year, but they were private poems and I wondered if I could do it daily in a public way. I was also feeling like I hadn't written much recently and I thought it would spur me to write, which it has and I am glad I joined.

2. How does working with other people affect your art practice/ process? Does it also affect / change your style of working? In what way?
Mostly I just write but sometimes themes emerge as they did in June and I wrote several poems responding to others. The other aspect is the responses you receive (or don't) and they can be an indicator of whether the poem is working or not. There are days when a small comment can make all the difference.

3. Has Project 366 been a good way for you to be with others in an art practice community? Does it feel like a community to you? Why?/Why not? How?/How not?
I have really enjoyed getting to know the work of other poets. Some I know already, some I don't and I read avidly every day what everyone is writing. I am far more intensely interested now than I was at the beginning. Curiosity as one's world expands.

4. Do you see 366 as a dialogue? If so, in what way? Can you see ways in which it could be more of a dialogue or a better dialogue?
Sometimes the dialogue is very strong. Yes it is a dialogue but some poets participate in the dialogue more strongly than others.

5. Has working on daily artmaking through Project 366 affected your work or the way you work? If so, how?
At the beginning I fretted about the work a lot. I feel more relaxed about the artmaking / writing than at the beginning and as a result I think more poems make it to my own personal standard than they did in the first month or two. But every month is filled with some duds and some I am very happy to have written and would not have without participating.

6. Do you think others in the project have influenced you / affected your ways of working or your subject matter?
Yes definitely, though not every day. Some days I am off on a planet of my own.

7. How have you found the cultural diversity in the project so far? Has this had any effect on you? Do you think things could be different / better in this regard?
I've enjoyed the range. I have challenged myself to read works in languages I don't know just to feel the sound of the words or in a language I know a little to experience the different rhythms and approaches. I like the range of very different concerns that emerge in other writers' work.

8. Do you think there's what you could call a learning process going on through the project? If so, could you describe that?
Definitely but I'm not sure I can define it.

9. How do you see your role in the group?
As an active participant in both writing and reading, and out of that commenting. I like the balance between those who are here for the year and those whose work enriches us for a month.

10. How has participation in Project 366 affected your sense of yourself as an art practitioner?
As I said above, I feel more relaxed and with each day of writing it opens new possibilities from within and from without (ie other poets' work).

11. How would you like to see Project 366 develop for the second half of the year?
I haven't thought of any way to change it. I like the way it is working now.

12. What do you imagine after Project 366? (Both in terms of group art practice with a comparable vehicle and in terms of your own personal practice.
Without the pressure to produce, I will probably slip back into writing the occasional poem when I have time. I know this is slack, but I do tend to binge in bouts of writing and then not writing. Often something occurs in those down times that shifts my work. It is always unpredictable.

1 comment: